lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Gdata - opening/closing index
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:10:47 GMT
Hello everyone,

You might have read some mails about the gdata server and what he does
so I assume that you are kind of familar with it. I need to index
every change to any entry in any feed to make the modifications
searchable. I'm especially worried about updates and inserts. So if I
index every change immediately I have to open and close the index
reader and writer all the time. This is not very efficient. I guess
wouldn't be too bad to have a little delay between the modification
and indexing e.g. the modification will be available for search a bit
later. Now the question is how does the indexer handle this? I could
index into a second index while the first index used for searching.
The indexer could index all entries in the queue and after a certain
amount of new index entries both indexes could be merged together. But
what happens if there is just one modification for 30 minutes. The
entry would not be searchable for a long time. I could use the second
index to search using a multisearcher but for that case I have to
close the indexwriter as well and it would be quiet tricky with
updates occurring in both index. instances.
This is quiet a interesting problem but I guess some of you run in
similar situations using lucene.
I'm looking forward to hear from you and your suggestions. I know that
this seems to be a question  for the user list but gdata is a lucene
project and should be discussed on the dev list :)

regards Simon