lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gdata - Indexing feeds and entries
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:50:46 GMT
Hi Simon, welcome back, hope your exams went well!

On 7/15/06, Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My first and main problem is pretty well know on this mailinglist,
> well I found lots of questions and suggestions via google but these
> discussions are quite a while ago. I was wondering if there are some
> new cognitions about distributed searching / indexing. The server
> should be able to run in clusters/ server farms so indexed data must
> be available on each server / machine. I thought about this for a
> while and all my ideas seem to be problematic in a certain way.
> i found this thread on the mailing list
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg12700.html

Will every server contain all the data, or are you planning on having
federated search?
Federated search is difficult enough on it's own... throw in
distributed updates, and it gets even tougher.

If you could use a storage component that handled distributed updates,
that would make things quite a bit easier.

I'd still be inclined to try and get everything working on a single
server first, while keeping in mind the goal of super-scalability for
the future.

-Yonik