lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MultiSegmentQueryFilter enhancement for interactive indexes?
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 03:10:54 GMT
On 7/7/06, robert engels <rengels@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Exactly. I have been watching to see how the new filer interface
> works out for 2.0. I am still not certain why it is so involved.
>
> I still think
>
> interface Filter {
>     boolean include(int doc);
>     int nextInclude(int doc);
> }
>
> should suffice.

It depends on how the interface will be used and the capabilities of
the underlying implementation.
Paul's sorted vint list is good on space, but it doesn't do random access well.
Solr's HashDocSet offers very fast random access, but it doesn't do
sequential access.
A BitSet does both, but it's always big.
There are many other possible implementations & tradeoffs, but you get
the idea...

-Yonik