lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 (was ommented: (LUCENE-565) Supporting deleteDocuments in IndexWriter (Code and Performance Results Provided))
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:54:24 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, DM Smith wrote:

> Eclipse has a built in compiler called ecj and it can compile Java 1.6 code
> today. However, unless classes are provided at runtime for linking, one will
> get build errors.

It looks like ecj is going to replace the gcj java front-end compiler thereby
making the 1.5 language features available to gcj. In the meantime, the
classpath project is working towards adding support for all JRE classes. I'm
quite optimistic that we should see a 1.5 capable gcj this year. This isn't
saying much, however, about which platforms, besides Red Hat Linux, this gcj
would be producing stable executables for. For example, gcj on Windows is very
far behind and is getting very little development time these days.

Andi..