lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 (was ommented: (LUCENE-565) Supporting deleteDocuments in IndexWriter (Code and Performance Results Provided))
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:37:16 GMT

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Andi Vajda wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Doug Cutting wrote:
>>> Since GCJ is effectively available on all platforms, we could say that we
>>> will start accepting 1.5 features when a GCJ release supports those
>>> features. Does that seem reasonable?
>> +1
> If we use this criteria, then we should probably officially support GCJ.
> Ideally we should run nightly unit tests with GCJ.  Andi, would you be
> interested in helping to set this up?

I'd be interested in doing this but what is it that we're after in 'supporting
gcj' actually ?

   - running a fully compiled program linked against a ?
     if so, which platforms ? the gcj story is very different on each and every
     platform, including different linuxes and gcj is not well supported on
     some platforms at all.

   - running java bytecode with the gcj VM (gij, I believe) ?
     if the .java code needs to be compiled with gcj then a number of patches
     still need to be applied against the Java lucene sources.
     PyLucene is built by compiling .java -> .jar using a regular JDK (Apple's
     or Blackdown) and using gcj to compile from .jar -> .so thereby working
     around all the gcj java front-end bugs
     Even when only compiling .jar -> .so with gcj, a number of patches still
     need to be applied:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message