lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r424449 - /lucene/java/trunk/src/java/org/apache/lucene/document/
Date Sat, 22 Jul 2006 05:58:28 GMT

: I remember reading somewhere (SDF javadoc?) that SDF instances are not
: thread-safe.  I take it that means class instances could mean trouble.

correct, but all usages of the static formaters in this patch seem to be
synchronized, so it's probably not an issue -- however i'm not sure if the
performance benefits of the static instances Daniel mentioned in his
commit will exist in a multithreaded app (the synchronization costs may
outway the instantiation costs)

: Don't re-create SimpleDateFormat objects, use static ones instead. Gives
: about a 2x performance increase in a micro benchmark.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message