lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Global field semantics
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:33:09 GMT

On Jul 9, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Chuck Williams wrote:

> Marvin Humphrey wrote on 07/08/2006 11:13 PM:
>>
>> On Jul 8, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Chuck Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Many things would be cleaner in Lucene if fields had a global
>>> semantics,
>>> i.e., if properties like text vs. binary, Index, Store,
>>> TermVector, the
>>> appropriate Analyzer, the assignment of Directory in
>>> ParallelReader (or
>>> ParallelWriter), etc. were a function of just the field name and the
>>
>> In June, Dave Balmain and I discussed the issue extensively on the
>> Ferret list.  It might have been nice to use the Lucy list, since a
>> lot of the discussion was about Lucy, but the Lucy lists didn't exist
>> at the time.
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ferret-talk/2006-June/000536.html
>>
> I think there are a number of problems with that proposal and hope it
> was not adopted.

The email which kicks off the thread is Dave's initial proposal for
*Ferret*.  That's outside the domain of Apache Lucene.  Dave did not
submit it as a proposal for either Lucy or Lucene.  There's an
extended discussion which follows where a number of ideas are kicked
around, some of them related to Lucy.  Since you respond only to that
one email, perhaps you did not read the rest of the thread.

You asked for prior discussion, and I gave you a link to prior
discussion.  Here is the quote from my original email, with the parts
which you silently snipped restored:

<quote>

>> Has this been considered before?
>
> Robert Kirchgessner made some of the same arguments in a January
> thread.  They were compelling then, and they're compelling now.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/
> 200601.mbox/%3c200601110310.39802.rokirch@gmx.net%3e
>
> In June, Dave Balmain and I discussed the issue extensively on the
> Ferret list.  It might have been nice to use the Lucy list, since a
> lot of the discussion was about Lucy, but the Lucy lists didn't
> exist at the time.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ferret-talk/2006-June/000536.html

</quote>

I did not intend to submit Dave's Ferret proposal by proxy to this
group.  I don't have time right now to defend something which was
never meant for either Lucene or Lucy at length.  I know that Dave
doesn't either.  I regret having provided the link.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/