lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Flexible index format / Payloads Cont'd
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:35:14 GMT
On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:43 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> The folks working on Lucy are probably interested (Marvin & David).
> Perhaps the first thing should be to specify the file format, then
> implement it both in Java (for Lucene Java) and C (for Lucy).
> Independent implementations will provide good compatibility
> testing, and better validate the file format documentation.
>
> The specification could initially live in the wiki.

What about a formal electronic specification of the file format?  I
hesitate to suggest XML because there is no good reason XML makes
sense as a general purpose "language" (*wink* to Mr. Bray), but that
is at least a common denominator among all languages.  An formal
process-able format specification would allow code generation of low-
level I/O functions, and, of course, the documentation itself in web
presentable form.

The way the current file format documentation is structured in a
computer-friendly way to digest it would be sweet.  Food for thought.

	Erik