lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 (was ommented: (LUCENE-565) Supporting deleteDocuments in IndexWriter (Code and Performance Results Provided))
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:56:11 GMT

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:17 AM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> Since GCJ is effectively available on all platforms, we could say
>> that
>> we will start accepting 1.5 features when a GCJ release supports
>> those
>> features.  Does that seem reasonable?
>
> Seems potentially a little strange to me. Does this mean Lucene
> would be
> limited to the set of 1.5 features actually implemented by GCJ? So if
> there is a 1.5 feature that is not supported by GCJ (while others are)
> it cannot be used?
>
> Seems more natural to support the complete 1.5 as defined by Sun/Java,
> not the subset implemented by one open source compiler.

Eclipse has a built in compiler called ecj and it can compile Java
1.6 code today. However, unless classes are provided at runtime for
linking, one will get build errors.

The same is true with gcj. It still does not fully support Java 1.4,
(almost there...) classes, though it supports all language features.
However, on Fedora, Eclipse is built with ecj and to me this
demonstrates that it is close enough for most use cases.

Gcj will have support for the language features before it supports
all the new classes.

In terms of Lucene, I believe that the most important classes that
are wanted are the concurrency ones. (At least that is how I have
read the posts here.)

I think the measure of readiness is not that it compiles today with
gcj, but that the Java 1.5 classes and features that are likely to be
used by lucene are implemented and pass all lucene tests.