lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Vic Bancroft <bancr...@america.net>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 (was ommented: (LUCENE-565) Supporting deleteDocuments in IndexWriter (Code and Performance Results Provided))
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 04:41:11 GMT
robert engels wrote:

> Seems  silly to support 1.5 and not do it this way.

Sometimes a little silliness is some serious fun!  Just give me a rubber
nose, since I am just clowning around trying to build Andi's kewly
contrib/db using gcj on the slightly stylish db-4.4.20 and je-3.0.12 . . .

> On Jul 10, 2006, at 11:17 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Doug Cutting wrote:
>>
>>> Since GCJ is effectively available on all platforms, we could say  that
>>> we will start accepting 1.5 features when a GCJ release supports  those
>>> features.  Does that seem reasonable?
>>
>> Seems potentially a little strange to me. Does this mean Lucene
>> would be
>> limited to the set of 1.5 features actually implemented by GCJ? So if
>> there is a 1.5 feature that is not supported by GCJ (while others are)
>> it cannot be used?
>>
>> Seems more natural to support the complete 1.5 as defined by Sun/Java,
>> not the subset implemented by one open source compiler.

Do you have a different favorite open source java compiler for 1.5 ?

more,
l8r,

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 -- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie