lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: Global field semantics
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:18:50 GMT

Chris Hostetter wrote on 07/10/2006 12:31 PM:
> So i guess we are on the same page that this kind of thing can be done at
> the App level -- what benefits do you see moving them into the Lucene
> index level?

Other than performance per David's and Marvin's ideas, the functionality
benefits of having this in the core are probably not compelling. I've
been able to hook almost everything and reference a global field model
at the application level (except for QueryParser which needs some
patches to enhance extensibility for some of these features). It just
seemed that a global field model was so useful that it might be a
beneficial extension to the core, so I was curious what others thought
about this.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chuck