lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flexible index format / Payloads Cont'd
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:35:52 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> IMO, this should wait.  It's going to be freakishly difficult to get
> this stuff to work and maintain the commitments that Doug has laid out
> for backwards compatibility.

Perhaps we can implement an all-new index format, in a new package.  An
implementation of IndexReader can be provided to integrate with existing
search code.  And the ability to add an IndexReader to an index can be
provided to upgrade existing indexes to the new format.  So the new code
would not need to be able to process an old index: the old code can
continue to do that.  Does that make sense?  Is that "freakishly
difficult"?  We'll need the ability to sniff a directory and tell which
version of index it contains, but that should not be too hard.

Doug