lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ray Tsang" <saturn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:29:18 GMT
I think the problem right now isn't whether we are going to have 1.5
code or not.  We will eventually have to have 1.5 code anyways.  But
we need a sound plan that will make the transition easy.  I believe
the transition from 1.4 to 1.5  is not an over night thing.

Secondly can we specifically find places where some people _will_
contribute code immediately if it's 1.5 is accepted?

Like what I have suggested before, why not have contribution modules
that act as a transition into 1.5 code?  Much like what other
framework has a "tiger" module.  This module may have say, a 1.5
compatible layer on top of 1.4 core, or other components of lucene
that was made to be extensible, e.g. 1.5 version of QueryParser,
Directory, etc.

ray,