lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GData - Milestone 2
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:03:50 GMT
On 6/17/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I don't fully understand your question, but if sessions are replicated, then the GData
cluster doesn't care which GData server the client contacts, as they will all already have
the token that was given to the client.  On subsequent requests, the client will have to send
the token.  I am not sure if GData protocol specifies how that should be sent - via a query
string param or perhaps even a HTTP request header (e.g. X-gdata-auth: SomeTokenHere).  The
jsessionId carries the HttpSession ID if the client doesn't support, and thus doesn't send
back, cookies.  If it does suppose cookies, they will be sent via Set-Cookie or some such
HTTP request header.

The client will send back the auth token either as a cookie or as
Authorization: GoogleLogin auth=sessionid  header.

> I think what you need to do is:
> - client makes a request
> - server says "you are not authenticated, here is a 401"
> - client provides credentials
> - server checks credentials, creates token, saves it to session, and says to client:
"OK, eat this token".  The client saves it
> - client makes a new request and sends the token (via HTTP request header or via query
string param)
> - server takes the token and compares it to the one stored in the current session [1]
> - if the tokens match, the server responds with the data, else goto line with 401 above

This is the common life cycle of a client - javaserver as we both
know. But the client does not send back the sessionid if no cookies
are supported. E.g. request.getSession(false) returns null. I tired
this with the google data client api using the GoogleService which is
a subclass of Serivce. Service is a base class to customize
authorization and extensions. So this is the actual problem. :/
I could provide a custom impl. which supports session id and cookies...

simon

> [1] In order for your server (Jetty or Tomcat or whatever) to be able to associate a
client with a session, the client must send back the session Id from the first request.  This
is normal Java webapp behaviour.  The client will send it either as a cookie via HTTP headers,
or via jsessionid (aka URL rewriting... not to be mixed with mod_rewrite).  Regardless of
the method, the server (Jetty/Tomcat) will know how to associate the request with an existing
insntance of HttpSession, and that's that you'll get from request.getSession().

> Otis

recent messages about different authentication options that may give you some food for thought.

> --> good stuff, thanks for the link!
> >
> > As for GData auth:
> > - GData oversion page describes the auth with "send a cookie/token, save in server-side,
and then expect it from the client on subsequent requests" (paraphrased).  That sounds fine
to me.  I don't think you need to worry about the client IP, as long as your cookie/token
is long and random enough (please correct me if I'm wrong about this), although you might
want to add the IP to the string you base your MD5 checksum on.
> > If you store the token in the session, it will automatically get the TTL of the
HttpSession.

> I already tried the HttpSession approach. Using the http session would
> solve all my problems. The Session can be replicated as the most
> containers support session repl. But how do i get the session id from
> the client. The client sends a request parameter name: Auth value:
> sessionid but the container does not recognize the session in this
> case. As far as I know does the session parameter name has to be
> "jsessionid" and I only get the session via the HttpServletRequest.
> Any Idea about this?
>
> simon
> >
> > - Running GData server in a cluster might require session replication.  It sounds
like a big bite for SoC, but ... I never used WADI, but I _think_ that might be easiest way
to get session replication going: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wadi.html
 If that's all you need, perhaphs, is JavaSpaces (e.g. http://www.dancres.org/blitz/ ).