lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GData - Milestone 2
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:53:21 GMT
On 6/16/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I have a bit of experience with REST and authentication from my work on http://simpy.com
.
recent messages about different authentication options that may give you some food for thought.

--> good stuff, thanks for the link!

> As for GData auth:
> - GData oversion page describes the auth with "send a cookie/token, save in server-side,
and then expect it from the client on subsequent requests" (paraphrased).  That sounds fine
to me.  I don't think you need to worry about the client IP, as long as your cookie/token
is long and random enough (please correct me if I'm wrong about this), although you might
want to add the IP to the string you base your MD5 checksum on.
> If you store the token in the session, it will automatically get the TTL of the HttpSession.

I already tried the HttpSession approach. Using the http session would
solve all my problems. The Session can be replicated as the most
containers support session repl. But how do i get the session id from
the client. The client sends a request parameter name: Auth value:
sessionid but the container does not recognize the session in this
case. As far as I know does the session parameter name has to be
"jsessionid" and I only get the session via the HttpServletRequest.
Any Idea about this?

simon

> - Running GData server in a cluster might require session replication.  It sounds like
a big bite for SoC, but ... I never used WADI, but I _think_ that might be easiest way to
get session replication going: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wadi.html
 If that's all you need, perhaphs, is JavaSpaces (e.g. http://www.dancres.org/blitz/ ).