lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter multithreaded?
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 09:58:38 GMT
On 6/4/06, Robert Engels <rengels@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I understand that there can only be a single active IndexWriter per
> Directory, but is the IndexWriter multithreaded (it seems to be)?

Do you mean the  a IndexWriter works with several threads  or is
thread-safe?
maybe this one helps:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg00157.html

It would appear that on a multiprocessor box using multiple threads to add
> documents from a queue would be much faster (due to the parallel
> tokenization)?

This is true, you should keep the actual index writer always busy to get the
best performance out of the single index writer.
There are several approaches around to do that, for ex. you could index your
documents mutlithreaded into a RamDir per thread and merge them together
after a certain amount of documents.

Do I have this correct?