lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:21:10 GMT
On 6/20/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In any case, there is still GCJ too.  If GCJ supported 1.5, and we
> > could make a 1.4 library with Retrotranslator, that should cover most
> > users, right?
>
> If I am not mistaken: future support for 1.5 in gcj is ambiguous and/or will
> be incomplete.

You don't use GCJ right?

GCJ is currently incomplete, and needs patches to get it to work with
lucene (and lucene committers have accepted patches to ease this
porting in the past).  GCJ support in Lucene isn't  as much for the
end-user IMO, but for developers who maintain other Lucene ports.

Time will tell how good the Java5 support is for GCJ.  Hopefully less
time rather than more ;-)

-Yonik