lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Core vs Contrib
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:03:48 GMT

Are there any written (or unwritten) guidelines on when something should
be commited to the core code base vs when a contrib module should be used?

Obviously if a new feature rquires changing APIs omodifying one of the
existing core classes, then that kind of needs to be in the core -- and
there is precidence for the idea thatlangauge specific analyzers should go
in contrib; and then of course there are things like the Span queries
which seem like htey would have been a prime canidate for a contrib module
but they aren't (possibly just because when they were added there was no
"contrib" -- just the sandbox, and it didn't rev with lucene core).

...But I'm just wondering if as we move forward, there should be some
sated policy "unless there is a specific reason why it must be in the
core, put it in a contrib" to help keep the core small -- or if i'm wrong
about hte general sentiment of the Lucene core.

(FYI: my impedus for asking this question is LUCENE-406 -- I think it's a
pretty handy feature that everyone might want, but that doesn't mean it's
not just as usefull commited in contrib/miscellaneous)

-Hoss