lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Refactored FuzzyTermEnum
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:24:13 GMT

: I don't know what the protocol is for one-off contributions.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "one-off contribution" but the process for
submiting changes/improvements/additions was recenlty wiki-ized...

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/HowToContribute

(Incidently, please feel free to share any comments/questions you have
about hte process that you feel the wiki doesn't address well)

: I'm happy with the Apache license, so that shouldn't

When you go to attach your patch to a Jira issue, there will be an option
to make it explicit that you "Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF
works"

: be a problem.  I also don't know whether you use tabs
: or spaces -- I untabified the final version and used your
: two-space format in emacs.

the majority of the lucene code base seems to be no tabs, 2 space
indenting -- but the golden rule is don't change the formating of any code
(even code that is hideously formatted) as part of a patch that changes
functionality.  Formatting changes should be in their own patches/commits
so it's clear that's all that's changed.

One comment i have about your new submission is that it's not clear to me
what the purpose of your changes are -- please don't feel that's a
criticism, i just don't use FuzzyQueries myself, so maybe it's obvious to
others, but when opening the Jira issue please make sure the problem
statement that motivated you to make these changes is explained.  If it
was to fix a bug, please include a test case that fails without this
change; if it was to improve performance, please include some sample code
that demonstrates the performance improvement; if it was to add new
functionality, please include a test that demonstrates the new
functionality working.

-Hoss