lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:16:35 GMT

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> [...]

I am using the Java 5 compiler to build a 1.4 compatible binary. So I
get the compiler improvements for all my users.

> OG: But I benchmarked Java 1.4 and 1.5 a few weeks ago.  1.5 is
> _substantially_ faster.  If you want performance improvements, why
> not also upgrade Java then?  Ths really bugs me.  People want the
> latest and greatest Lucene, but are okay with the old Java, yet
> they claim they want performance, bug fixes, etc.

It's not up to me. Each user of BibleDesktop has to decide for
themselves. Users of MacOS 10.3 and earlier are stuck using Java 1.4.
Users that have upgraded to Java 5 get the advantages of that
runtime. As for me I am running Java 5.

> One can get the performance gains just by using the Java 5 jre.
>
> OG: Correct.  But one can also not get a performance improvement or
> a bug fix if it comes as part of an external contribution that
> happens to use 1.5 because the contributor uses 1.5 in his/her work
> and doesn't have time to "downgrade" the code, just so it can be
> accepted in Lucene.

That's the core argument that you are making and it is a good one. If
it could be designated in Jira whether the attachment were Java 5
then others (perhaps myself) could take the patch, downgrade it and
attach it to the same issue. It sure would beat forking the project.

> How many external contributions are to the "core" Lucene?
> If the "core" Lucene contribution can be applied and then
> "downgraded" to Java 1.4 easily, what harm is in that?
>
>   OG: I don't know the number, but JIRA would be the place to
> look.  My guess is about a dozen or more people.
> Steve Rowe found something that can "downgrade" 1.5 code to 1.4 and
> looks promising.

If so then perhaps the committers could run the code through it after
applying the patch. Then the contributers would not be adversely
affected.