lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Flexible index format / Payloads Cont'd
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:22:44 GMT

On Jun 30, 2006, at 1:55 AM, Michael Busch wrote:

> So adding this payload feature to the Lucene core for a release 2.X
> is not a big risk in my opinion for the following reasons:
>   - API only extended
>   - Lucene 2.X will be able to read an index created with an earlier
>     version, because the Payload bit in FieldInfos will always be 0
> then.
>   - Payloads are disabled by default. They will only be enabled by
> using the
>     new API.
>   - If Payloads are disabled, then Lucene 2.0 is able to read an index
>     created with Lucene 2.X, because the file formats don't change
> at all in
>     that case.
>
> So we could go ahead and add this to 2.X and keep working on the more
> fundamental changes for Lucene 3. Sounds like a plan?

Michael, FWIW, I wouldn't support this change, though I think it
would make a good addition to a plugin regime, and we all benefit
from seeing such a finely-crafted proposal.

First, I wouldn't add *any* more flags to Field.  IMO, it's gotten
too big, and it's time to refactor by replacing conditionals with
polymorphism.  Second, I think the payload mechanism should be
introduced into Lucene as a private API.  If and when it gets exposed
as public, it will have gone through some refinement and refactoring
first.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/