lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 03:46:38 GMT
Just got back from a long weekend vacation without any net access.
Talk about withdrawal:)

I have just gotten through reading this entire thread... Whew.

On Jun 19, 2006, at 8:48 PM, Robert Engels wrote:

> People making these arguments against 1.5 sound really ill-
> informed, or
> lazy. Neither of which is good for open-source development.

Ouch. I'm not sure which I am: Is it ill-informed or lazy?

I lurk here to see what is being developed and am impressed with the
care and the thoughtfulness that goes into the code. I'm probably
better served by joining the user's mailing list, but I find this
more educational.

So, my comment is that of a user.

I'll repeat myself. I am a contributor to the open source project,
BibleDesktop, which allows a user to search Bibles using boolean
logic. We have settled on Java 1.4 because all of our user community
has Java 1.4 available. Our user community consists of people and
groups that use hand me down hardware, that was past due when they
got it. Most of these users are not computer literate, but use their
computer as a tool to do their work. So even if their hardware could
be upgraded to a newer OS, it it not likely. (The vast majority of
our user base uses Windows 98, but a few use MacOS 9!)

When will we stop supporting Win98 and MacOS 9? When our users no
longer use it. (No a lone hold out won't stop progress... And yes
Win98 runs Java 1.5 just fine! But if it weren't for those reliable
Mac machines, we might not have to stay with Java 1.4!)

We use quite a few apache and jakarta libraries and we upgrade to the
latest and greatest as soon as we can. So far, there have been no
Java 5.0 libraries and the new libraries have not provided any
stability/performance problems.

Can I stick with 2.0.x? Certainly. However, I'd rather not. I keep
reading about refactoring providing a significant, incremental
improvement, and I'd like to provide that, especially for those older
machines!

Can Lucene's going to Java 1.5 change/influence a migration of
BibleDesktop to Java 1.5. Nope. The only thing that can influence
that is "business decisions"

So, which is it: Ill-informed or lazy?