lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:46:59 GMT
DM Smith wrote:
> One of the things I liked about 2.0 was that 1.9 was a bridge to it from
> 1.4.3 via deprecations. It made migration fairly straightforward. I would
> like to see this going forward to 2.1. If so there needs to be some thought
> to how and whether the existing API will be deprecated in the same fashion
> as Java 5 is introduced.

If 2.1 will break API compatibility then it should be called 3.0.  Major
release numbers are all about API compatibility.  If code works with
Lucene X.Y, then it should also compile against Lucene X.Y+1, but it may
not work with Lucene X+1.Z.

The third digit in release numbers is for bugfix releases.  In effect,
X.Y.0 is a beta, or release candidate.  We should never add new features
or do anything but fix serious bugs in these releases.

JVM version is orthogonal to this, no?

Doug