lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:22:42 GMT
To me, I am just as likely to make contributions in 1.4 as I am 1.5 and
I am running 1.5 in my daily life.  I just don't find it all that hard
to do 1.4 for Lucene since IntelliJ allows me to set my compiler version
for the Lucene project and then forget about it, going about creating my
patches.  This is, after all, what we have been doing up until now.
Sure there are a lot of benefits to 1.5 for coding, but I still plan on
helping out even if we decide not to go to 1.5.

Having said that, I think the versioning argument that Otis and others
have made makes a lot of sense.  I think stating that 2.0.x is the last
1.4 release is reasonable and that if there are people interested in
maintaining branches then we should work to get them commit rights on
those branches (is that even possible????) so that they can backport
changes to 1.4 if they want.  And of course the code is always available
such that one can maintain their own copy for their company.  This is
something I have had to do from time to time as I waited for patches to
be applied and it is not the end of the world.

As has been stressed a number of times 2.1 is not likely for some time
(at least based on our previous release history).  In the meantime
people can prepare for the switch.  After all, how many 1.4 users are
actually using the Trunk of Lucene versus some know release?

My two cents,
Grant