lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:40:57 GMT
 >>One point that I feel keeps getting ignored is that we are talking
about the _future_ releases.
 >>My guess is that we won't see a major new Lucene release before 2007,
and by that time the latest JVM will probably be 1.6.

I think that's a non-argument as it is common practice for people to
work with the latest trunk version and in practice we have often
recommended users to do so (a credit to the stability of the code and
quality of commits).

e.g. Erik's post from
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/30227?search_string=production%20stable;#30227

 >"The only difference between Subversion trunk and a released version
 >is the time and effort someone has taken to build it, package it,
 >sign it, and upload it (and of course a consensus vote authorizing
 >it). While I know that many environments demand that such blessing
 >has occurred, I cannot say that I altogether understand it. I much
 >prefer, personally, to be on the trunk and know that any issues I do
 >happen to encounter can be easily reported, likely fixed if
 >identified specifically enough, fixed, and integrated back into my
 >projects right away.

This decision is therefore not just one that will effect users in 2007
but more likely as soon as we decide a 1.5 commit takes place.

Cheers,
Mark