lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 19:37:03 GMT

Ray Tsang wrote on 06/17/2006 06:29 AM:
> I think the problem right now isn't whether we are going to have 1.5
> code or not.  We will eventually have to have 1.5 code anyways.  But
> we need a sound plan that will make the transition easy.  I believe
> the transition from 1.4 to 1.5  is not an over night thing.

I disagree.  1.5 was specifically designed to make transition easy,
including the inclusion of "non-features" that ensure smooth
interoperability (e.g., raw types and no runtime presence whatsoever of
generics -- quite different from how it was done in .Net 2.0 for example).

> Secondly can we specifically find places where some people _will_
> contribute code immediately if it's 1.5 is accepted?

I already have.  That's what started this second round of debate.

> Like what I have suggested before, why not have contribution modules
> that act as a transition into 1.5 code?  Much like what other
> framework has a "tiger" module.  This module may have say, a 1.5
> compatible layer on top of 1.4 core, or other components of lucene
> that was made to be extensible, e.g. 1.5 version of QueryParser,
> Directory, etc.

I think this would make it unnecessarily complex.

Chuck