lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: Scoring
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:01:14 GMT
Karl,

This is a great start.  I have also started a scoring.xml document under
the xdocs directory (in my sandbox).  So far, I have the following
sections (some even have content under them!):
1. Introduction  // Intro about Vector Space Model, some references to
theory, links to the Similarity scoring Formula
2. Scoring and the Index   //How scoring relates to what is in the index
(i.e. how it takes advantage of precomputed info such as norms, etc.
3. Understanding Similarity  //How the Similarity class fits into
Scoring and what it means to override the Similarity (Greek Kung Fu!)
4. Changing Your Scoring -- Expert // A discussion of
overriding/creating Scorer/Query/Whatever else
5. Class Diagrams // Links to your cool pictures
6. Sequence Diagrams //More cool pictures

What else is needed/useful?  Anyone want to volunteer on a section?

-Grant
karl wettin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 08:27 -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> I have started something in my sandbox that goes in the xdocs directory
>> that is going to cover the scoring and how it works (something parallel
>> in spirit to the file formats documentation).  Adding in sequence
>> diagrams and whatever you have would be a perfect fit.  I would be happy
>> to coordinate with you, as you may end up getting to it before me.
>>
>> I would also like to see, possibly, some package level documentation and
>> more javadocs.
>>

> Day (night) one of me getting to know the finding and scoring of the
> documents matching a query ended up with an initial class diagram.
>
> <http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/KarlWettin?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=search_uml_1.jpg>
> <http://shorl.com/hynulymolijo>
>
> Feel free to let me know what I got wrong.

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer
Center for Natural Language Processing
Syracuse University