lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Luke - in need of maintainer
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:50:33 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : cooperate in any sane fashion, to no avail. He's not interested in
> : changing the license, he's not even interested in any contributions.
>
> Licensing issues are one of those things i'm always glad other people
> understand and worry about -- because i don't want to -- so forgive me if
> this is a silly question, but is there any reason Luke couldn't be
> commited as a contrib module, without commiting the thinlet dependencies
> (jars and what not) with a build.xml file that caused the entire contrib
> module to be a NOOP unless the thinlet dependencies were detected in the
> classpath (in the same way that the core build.xml skips the javacc tasks
> if it's not installed)
>
> that way the entire thing could be maintained in the lucene repository,
> but people who wanted to use it owuld have to explicilty download the
> thinlet dependencies.
>
> Would that violate the thinlet license, or any apache policies regarding
> other licenses?

No, this doesn't violate the license nor Apache policy, in fact this is
already used even in Lucene's contrib - e.g. the contrib/db requires you
to download Berkeley DB.

We could do this, but my feeling was always that such modules are
second-class citizens - they do not undergo as much testing as other
modules, and they lag behind the core, because of the additional effort
to install the dependencies.

Luke uses its own version of Thinlet, incompatible with the latest
public version, so I still would have to host this part.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><