lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Luke - in need of maintainer
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:44:07 GMT
mark harwood wrote:
> I can pick this up, but I don't think I've got much
> more bandwidth than Andrzej to work on it.
>
> I certainly don't have the time now for a port to an
> Apache-friendly GUI framework but ultimately I think
> Luke should end up under the "contrib" section where
> it can be managed and benefit from the attention of
> more than one maintainer.
>
> Andrzej, have you tried contacting the Thinlet author
> to see if he would consider releasing the old Thinlet
> code under an Apache license?

Forget it, no chance. I won't go into details here - the whole situation
was as unpleasant as it can be, and the list archives at Yahoo show it -
several people, myself included, went to great lengths to make him
cooperate in any sane fashion, to no avail. He's not interested in
changing the license, he's not even interested in any contributions.

The main appeal of Thinlet was that it was very easy to construct even
complex GUI-s with many event handlers; and tweaking layouts was a
breeze, even without the GUI builder. IMHO, porting Luke to another XUL
toolkit with similar properties should be easier than re-coding it in
straight Swing. SwiXML is still too much Swing-like for my linking, I
like the direction that JAXX is taking but it's still very young and
requires the descriptors to be compiled ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><