lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:09:53 GMT
 ----- Original Message ----
From: DM Smith

On 6/20/06, Otis Gospodnetic  wrote: Sorry, for some reason my Yahoo email doesn't prepend
">" on replies, so I'll use "OG" for my lines.

In my situation, I am constantly working on improving an open source application. Our use
of Lucene is very trivial (from a lucene perspective) but critical to the application. If
there are bug fixes, enhancements and performance improvements, I want to use them to improve
my user's experience. So, each time there is a release of Lucene, I get it, test it and if
it in itself offers an improvement, I release our application just upgrading the lucene jar.

OG: Again, there have been a LOT of JVM and JDK improvements since 1.4, too, but you are still
using 1.4.

OG: But I benchmarked Java 1.4 and 1.5 a few weeks ago.  1.5 is _substantially_ faster.  If
you want performance improvements, why not also upgrade Java then?  Ths really bugs me.  People
want the latest and greatest Lucene, but are okay with the old Java, yet they claim they want
performance, bug fixes, etc.

One can get the performance gains just by using the Java 5 jre.

OG: Correct.  But one can also not get a performance improvement or a bug fix if it comes
as part of an external contribution that happens to use 1.5 because the contributor uses 1.5
in his/her work and doesn't have time to "downgrade" the code, just so it can be accepted
in Lucene.

How many external contributions are to the "core" Lucene?
If the "core" Lucene contribution can be applied and then "downgraded" to Java 1.4 easily,
what harm is in that?

  OG: I don't know the number, but JIRA would be the place to look.  My guess is about a dozen
or more people.
Steve Rowe found something that can "downgrade" 1.5 code to 1.4 and looks promising.

Otis