lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:49:17 GMT
Ray Tsang wrote on 06/19/2006 09:06 AM:

> Don't get me wrong.  My point is _not_ not to accept 1.5 code.  By all
> means we should accept it.  But it'll be better if there is a simple
> way to accept it while at least majority of lucene-core.jar is
> compatible w/ 1.4 at bytecode level, while, say, lucene-tiger.jar are
> add ons for full 1.5 specific code that will not be bytecode
> compatible with 1.4?

I don't know of an easy way to do this.  We can branch, but there is really no need for an
additional branch - we already have the branch for 2.0.* and you can think of that as the
"1.4 branch".  The question here is whether we can treat the trunk as the "1.5 is OK here"

So far we have a more than 2:1 ratio in favour of 1.5, not counting those who say they will
move to 1.5 in the near future (1-12 months).  Counting those we currently have a 100:43 ratio
going got 1.5, and this includes people from Kamchatka, too.

One point that I feel keeps getting ignored is that we are talking about the _future_ releases.
 My guess is that we won't see a major new Lucene release before 2007, and by that time the
latest JVM will probably be 1.6.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message