lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:49:17 GMT
Ray Tsang wrote on 06/19/2006 09:06 AM:

> Don't get me wrong.  My point is _not_ not to accept 1.5 code.  By all
> means we should accept it.  But it'll be better if there is a simple
> way to accept it while at least majority of lucene-core.jar is
> compatible w/ 1.4 at bytecode level, while, say, lucene-tiger.jar are
> add ons for full 1.5 specific code that will not be bytecode
> compatible with 1.4?

I don't know of an easy way to do this.  We can branch, but there is really no need for an
additional branch - we already have the branch for 2.0.* and you can think of that as the
"1.4 branch".  The question here is whether we can treat the trunk as the "1.5 is OK here"
"branch".

So far we have a more than 2:1 ratio in favour of 1.5, not counting those who say they will
move to 1.5 in the near future (1-12 months).  Counting those we currently have a 100:43 ratio
going got 1.5, and this includes people from Kamchatka, too.

One point that I feel keeps getting ignored is that we are talking about the _future_ releases.
 My guess is that we won't see a major new Lucene release before 2007, and by that time the
latest JVM will probably be 1.6.

Otis