lucene-dev mailing list archives

From eks dev <eks...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:37:34 GMT
Chuck, you nailed it!

This reverse view is really what brings clarity, at least to me. It boils down to  the question
"Who is loosing what?"

Move to 1.5: some people will not have an oportunity to use new cool features that will come
in 2.x versions. So they know the feeling, they cannot use cool new features of java 1.5 as
well.

Stay by 1.4: Lucene will progress slower than in other case, so people that are allready using
1.5 will not benefit from Lucene progress as fast.

As far as I can tell, from pure selfish perspective, moving to 1.5 would be preffered option.
Trying to be objective here, gut feeling is to say also move  to 1.5  as Lucene will move
forward faster, which kind of brings benefits to both sides as there is tomorrow.

Pople that created this great thing called Lucene should decide. I am sure whichever decision
is made, it will not be premature or without considering the needs of the other side.

cheers

----- Original Message ----
From: Chuck Williams <chuck@manawiz.com>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, 17 June, 2006 9:46:23 PM
Subject: Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)

Tatu Saloranta wrote on 06/17/2006 06:54 AM:
> And it's
> bit curious as to what the current mad rush regarding
> migration is -- beyond the convenience and syntactic
> sugar, only the concurrency package seems like a
> tempting immediate reason?

The only people who keep bringing up these non-arguments are those on
the con side.  You should read the arguments on the pro side -- they are
not these.

> I hope it can be a practical decision made with
> cool minds.

Agreed.  I think a key part of this is to listen to what the other side
is saying.

This all boils down to people and the environments they use.  People
using 1.4 want the latest and greatest Lucene and don't understand why
it's important to use 1.5 anyway.  People using 1.5 are writing 1.5 code
everyday and want to be able to make contributions to Lucene without
backporting and retesting.  Also, they don't want to consciously write
code that might be a Lucene contribution in 1.4 because a) the cognitive
shift back to 1.4 is not easy once you are fully indoctrinated into 1.5
(primarily generics), and b) 1.4 code is not type-safe in the sense that
1.5 code is.

So, do 1.4 people live with Lucene 2.0.x until they move to 1.5, or do
1.5 people get limited or cut out from making contributions.  Neither
option is appealing, especially to those negative affected.

Chuck