lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: create feeds in GDATA - Server
Date Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:59:06 GMT
Hi Simon,

You asked about several things:

- Multiple accounts:
Sure.  It you have ability to create one account, and you need that to authenticate at the
beginning of the session, then why not have the ability to create multiple accounts.  I would
go for a regular GData/REST interface for account creation (no UI) for now, to make it simple.
 Something similar to http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/protocol.html#Inserting-a-new-entry
, but for accounts.  Password would have to be sent in "cleartext", so to make this secure
one would have to send this via HTTPS, not HTTP.

- Adding new feeds:
I would again go for something similar to http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/protocol.html#Inserting-a-new-entry
.  What is needed for creation of a new feed?  Meta-data, right?  So send XML POST with feed
title, author, and.... what else?  Link?  For the author perhaps you need the XML representation
of a Person object: http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/javadoc/com/google/gdata/data/Person.html

Other than the meta-data, what else is needed for a feed?  Do you need to ensure that new
feed entries that are being added/updated match the a certain schema?  For example, do you
need to define a feed as allowing foo/bar/baz, but not foo/baz/bar?  If you do, themn perhaps
feed creation should include taking in a DTD or XSD.  This would imply that whenever the client
sends you a new feed entry, you'd have to validate it against the DTD or XSD, and either accept
it and save it, or reject it with appropriate error code.  If this is needed, I would consider
simply storing the DTD/XSD along the feed meta-data.  I assume that means in your "data store".

- Feed entry updates:
I think this describes it: http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/protocol.html#Updating-an-entry

Their example: "http://example.com/myFeed/1/2/""myFeed" looks like a feed ID (a unique name,
probably OK to limit to [a-zA-Z0-9])
The first "1" must be the feed entry ID (auto-generated on insert)
The second "1" is an incrementing version number.

The only bit to pay attention to here is, I think, the version number.  The client needs to
provide this, but if the provided version number doesn't match what the server has as the
latest version, the server should return a 409 (version conflict).

Btw., this is how I see different GData entities.  Please let me know if any of it is incorrect:

1. A GData server instance has N accounts.
2. An account has N feeds.
3. A feed has fixed meta-data (title, author...)
4. A feed has N feed entries

Oh, and I'm wondering whether there should be "An account has N feed collections" and "A feed
collection has N feeds" between 1. and 2.  Should there be collections?  Or is that what "/feed/entry/category/@term"
could/should/will be used for?

Otis