lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <cowtownco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: GData Server - Lucene storage
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:36:44 GMT
--- Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Using the client thread as the indexing thread might
> just cause some
> performance drawback but that's considerable for

Actually, I would not even assume that: handing tasks
over between threads causes context switch, and more
cache misses. In general, doing everything as a
'batch' from the same thread may well have higher
throughput than handing things over. Or it might be as
fast. Or, for specific problem subset, you may be
right that it'd be slower. ;-)
You can consider this a subset of the old
'co-operative vs. pre-emptive scheduling' debate.

Point obviously is that this is kind of thing that
needs to be measured, if you care deeply about
performance. Intuition often leads one to wrong
direction in cases like this.
So often you start with the simplest workable
solution, and consider more sophisticated approaches
when you have time and/or find out this part is the
main performance bottleneck.

-+ Tatu +-