lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:24:15 GMT

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On 6/20/06, DM Smith <dmsmith555@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In any case, there is still GCJ too.  If GCJ supported 1.5, and we
>> > could make a 1.4 library with Retrotranslator, that should cover
>> most
>> > users, right?
>>
>> If I am not mistaken: future support for 1.5 in gcj is ambiguous
>> and/or will
>> be incomplete.
>
> You don't use GCJ right?

Correct. We couldn't because of our use of Swing. It appears that it
is sufficiently far along that it is worth trying again. The problem
we have is trying to explain to users how to install java in order to
get our application to work. If we could redistribute java as a
seamless part of our application we would.

We are planning to migrate from Swing to Eclipse's RCP/JFace/SWT and
then we can and would use GCJ. If Lucene goes to Java 5, we will need
to re-examine those plans.