lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "JMA" <mrj...@comcast.net>
Subject Soccer-themed question: null fields?
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:16:11 GMT

Greetings,
In honor of the world cup and players that use 1 name only,
can someone help me with the following...

1) Is there a way to find a document that has null fields?
For example, if I have two fields (FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME) for World Cup players:

FIRST_NAME: Brian 	LAST_NAME: McBride
FIRST_NAME: Agustin	LAST_NAME: Delgado
FIRST_NAME: Zinha		LAST_NAME: (null or blank)
FIRST_NAME: Kaka		LAST_NAME: (null or blank)

... and so on

What's the way to find all players that use only their first name?

2) Is there a way to count field terms?  For example, if instead we have one field...

NAME: Brian McBride
NAME: Agustin Delgado
NAME: Zinha
NAME: Kaka

Can I answer the same question by finding all documents where the number of terms
in the NAME field is 1 and only 1?  Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance,
JMA