lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 12:06:31 GMT
On 5/30/06, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@syr.edu> wrote:
> We are actually using 1.5 too.  My concern is that when someone makes
> changes to the core, they have to make sure they didn't break the code,
> this includes all of the contrib modules, which _could_ mean that I need
> more than just 1.4 and 1.5 to build and test the core and contrib
> areas.  I just think it could get out of hand.  The system requirements
> document could get too complicated.
>
> I am all for moving to 1.5; I am not in favor of letting the contrib
> package range freely over whatever JVM version is available.

This is true and I do agree with you. So let's dicuss about the GData
Server because development just started and at the moment it would be
possible to switch to 1.5 eg. 1.4.
The client api is written whit 1.5 features and it would be more
consistent to develop the serverside 1.5 dependent aswell.

contrib projects developed with >=1.5  should definitly be discussed
on the mailing list instead of letting them use whatever JVM version
is available.

simon