lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <>
Subject Re: Changing Lucene scoring?
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 15:31:38 GMT
On 5/8/06, Otis Gospodnetic <> wrote:
> Not sure if people caught my question over on java-user@ about the possibility of eliminating
floating point calculations from Lucene's scoring.  Before I embark on this, I thought I'd
> - Am I crazy?  Is this at all doable?

Do you have an estimate on how much time you would save to get a
feeling if it would be worth it?

Some scorers don't calculate a score until you call score(), so you
could create your query, create a Weight, and ask the Weight for a
Scorer.  Then just keep calling next() to get all the matches.

For example, TermScorer and ConjunctionScorer don't calculate scores
in next(), so a query like +field1:foo +field2:bar would work fine
with this method.

-Yonik Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message