lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vector
Date Sat, 06 May 2006 13:35:03 GMT
On 5/6/06, karl wettin <kalle@snigel.net> wrote:
> There are a couple of Vector:s in the code. Is it really necessary to
> use this expensive thread safe artifact from the dark ages?

I've wondered that myself ... seeing "Vector" in the code does hurt my
eyes a little :-)
It's just one of those things that's never the highest priority I guess.

I think in many/most of these places it's unnecessary to have a
synchronized collection at all.  For examile, the one in Document for
instance will be used often:
  List fields = new Vector();

Since the reference type is actually "List" it looks like the use of a
synchronized collection is deliberate.  Can someone think why this is
needed?

-Yonik