lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Sat, 27 May 2006 22:01:41 GMT

On Sat, 27 May 2006, karl wettin wrote:

> How about a binary 1.4-target distribution?

That's a great idea that might solve the problem as long as the
resulting bytecode is compatible with 1.4 and with gcj.

When compiling Java Lucene for PyLucene with gcj I compile from .jar to .o
which gcj is much better at. I have to apply a number of patches [1] [2] to
the Java Lucene source code before compiling it from .java to .jar with ant
and a regular JDK (Apple's in my case). This is because of bugs in gcj or
libgcj, the gcj java runtime.

If 1.5 compiled bytecode is not going to cause gcj any grief then this may be
the way to go...

Andi..

[1] http://svn.osafoundation.org/pylucene/trunk/patches.lucene
[2] http://svn.osafoundation.org/pylucene/trunk/patches.regex