lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Sat, 27 May 2006 18:51:50 GMT

: Java 1.5 has nice features, sure. But these features are mostly useful
: during development, they are less usefull for existing and proven software
: like Lucene. I think at least the core of Lucene should stay compatible

As I understood it, the long term road map has been that 2.0.* would be th
last major stable revision without serious API changes, and that 2.1.*
versions are where serious refactoring/API changes might take place.  Some
of those 1.5 features might be very handy durring that process, and the
use of Generics could help make the resulting APIs more self documenting
and bulletproof.

It seems to me that targetting 1.5 for 2.1.* is a smart way to proceed.

-Hoss