lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject refresh segments for deleted documents?
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 22:01:35 GMT
I implemented the IndexReader.reopen(). My original implementation did not
"refresh" the deleted documents, and it seemed to work. The latest impl does
re-read the deletions.

BUT, on inspecting the IndexReader code, I am not sure this is necessary???

When a document is deleted, IndexReader marks the bit as deleted in the
SegmentReader, and if the SegmentReader instance is "reused", the document
is still deleted. If the Segment was merged, it would not be "reused"
anyway.

Doug, can you comment on exactly why the 'deletions' need to be re-read?
Doesn't seem necessary to me.