lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Engels" <reng...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject RE: Nio File Caching & Performance Test
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 21:41:12 GMT
As stated in the email, it is 3x faster reading from a Java local cache,
then having Java go to the OS (where it may or may not be cached). It avoids
the overhead/context switch into the OS.

-----Original Message-----
From: peter royal [mailto:proyal@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 4:11 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Nio File Caching & Performance Test

On May 12, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Robert Engels wrote:
> I finally got around to making the NioFSDirectory with caching 1.9
> compliant. I also produced a performance test case.

How does this implementation compare to the MMapDirectory?

I've found that the MMapDirectory is far faster than the FSDirectory
on 64-bit machines with very large indexes. Is the explicit caching
of the NioFSDirectory expected to be a considerable win over allowing
the OS to do caching of data from the filesystem?
-pete