lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Explaining a filter; Scorer extending Matcher;
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 13:20:44 GMT

On May 23, 2006, at 4:26 AM, eks dev wrote:

>> "DocIterator", that way even TermDocs could impliment it ...
>
> I played with that idea and what I learned is that DocIterator
> should throw IOException as TermDocs throws it (It has been
> allready mentioned on compact sparse filters JIRA).

Since we're moving forward with API refactoring discussions, on the
topic of exceptions, perhaps its time to consider putting in our own
exception class or hierarchy to decouple ourselves a bit from "IO".
There are many in-memory non-disk-IO uses of these API's and having
IOException being caught when it doesn't make sense (like iterating
through tokens of a StringReader from an Analyzer, for instance).

	Erik