lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: non indexed field searching?
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 23:35:26 GMT

On May 16, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Robert Engels wrote:
> It seems that maybe a query could be separated into Filter and
> Query clauses
> (similar to how the query optimizer works in Nutch). Clauses that
> were based
> on non-indexed fields would be converted to a Filter.
>
> The problem is if you have some thing like
>
> (indexed:somevalue OR nonindexed:somevalue)
>
> would require a complete visit to every document.

Not necessarily.  A query optimizer could could extract these term
query clauses, look up cached doc sets (bit sets) and union them.
Scoring is the trickier part - I'm now curious to dig into Solr and
see how it handles this.

> I understand that this is moving Lucene closer to a database, but
> it is just
> very difficult to perform some complex queries efficiently without it.

Check out Solr - I think you'll find it fits this niche nicely.

> *** As an aside, I still don't understand why Filter is not an
> interface

I saw that Paul Elschot has just done some refactoring work attached
to a JIRA issue on this very topic.

	Erik