lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 16:54:39 GMT
On May 30, 2006, at 11:45 AM, DM Smith wrote:
> By stating that I needed to run on Mac OS 9, this also implies that
> I need to run on OSX prior to Tiger (10.4) which does not have Java
> 5 and according to everything that I read, won't. OSX 10.3 does not
> seem like an unreasonable target platform for Lucene applications.

for all such arguments, my take is (as a fervent Mac-head myself)
that we allow folks to innovate using whatever technical details they
want and let lucene evolve as the state of the art of languages
changes.  there are always older versions of lucene that work quite
well enough on other versions of java, etc.  those that need to
maintain back compatibility should step forward to work on that as
things evolve.

certainly we are not suggesting that we go crazy using features of a
newer JDK "just because"... but if there is a performance advantage
then we have an obligation to pursue it.  for new development like
the GData server, Solr, etc, we should be loose and allow the
creative individuals to do their own thing.  for lucene core, we need
compelling reasons to jump to a higher JDK requirement.

we will not hold up progress because of the few that don't upgrade
their macs when steve jobs waves his magic wand.

	Erik - from a snazzy speedy MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.6 and not
looking back.