lucene-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nio File Caching & Performance Test
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 21:11:19 GMT
On May 12, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Robert Engels wrote:
> I finally got around to making the NioFSDirectory with caching 1.9
> compliant. I also produced a performance test case.

How does this implementation compare to the MMapDirectory?

I've found that the MMapDirectory is far faster than the FSDirectory
on 64-bit machines with very large indexes. Is the explicit caching
of the NioFSDirectory expected to be a considerable win over allowing
the OS to do caching of data from the filesystem?
-pete