lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Luke - in need of maintainer
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 20:39:34 GMT
Hi all,

Luke - Lucene Index Toolbox, http://www.getopt.org/luke - is currently
in need of another maintainer ... I hate to admit that I'm too occupied
with other things, to keep up even with Lucene's progress, not to
mention to keep up with adding all great ideas and extensions floating
around ...

I'd love to donate Luke to the Lucene project, in fact all parts that I
wrote are already under Apache License - if it weren't for the Thinlet
toolkit that it uses for the GUI (which is LGPL). Unfortunately, Thinlet
community has been disbanded by the original author of Thinlet (in a
rather rude way ...), so there is no hope to do anything about the
license, and no hope for any updates.

It could be ported to Swing to avoid this issue, but it's no small feat
to do this... I'm not a Swing expert by any measure. In fact, if it
weren't for the Thinlet I would probably never embark on coding such a
complicated GUI. There are other XUL frameworks out there, recently I've
been looking at JAXX (jaxxframework.org), but it's still a lot of work.

So ... if some of you would like to learn all Lucene API-s in one sweep,
and at the same time to exercise their GUI coding skills, you are welcome.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><