lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 21:02:46 GMT
Besides what has already been covered:

Lucene Query and Filter objects are marked as Serializable so a remote
client can serialize a request to a server which then rewrites and
executes the request. This allows for a Webstart or applet-based
architecture where the client can construct and send queries to a server
where the data resides and queries are executed on that data.
Most corporates are stuck with 1.4 on the desktop and from what I can
see the magic JVM pixie will not be updating all those desktops in a hurry.

I'm not saying this affects me personally (I have decoupled query
requests from query execution logic in my applets) but it is a
deployment configuration which has been designed into the Lucene API
from the outset and which would be impacted by a move to 1.5 so is worth
considering.

My preference is to err on the side of caution and avoid limiting
options by only adopting 1.5 if there are clear run-time benefits. The
"syntactic sugar" code-time benefits don't seem to stack up when we
consider that Lucene is not like a general Java application where saving
development effort is paramount - its a built-for-speed library where
all code must be highly tuned and the final execution speed is much more
important than the time taken to actually code it.