lucene-dev mailing list archives

From markharw00d <>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 21:02:46 GMT
Besides what has already been covered:

Lucene Query and Filter objects are marked as Serializable so a remote
client can serialize a request to a server which then rewrites and
executes the request. This allows for a Webstart or applet-based
architecture where the client can construct and send queries to a server
where the data resides and queries are executed on that data.
Most corporates are stuck with 1.4 on the desktop and from what I can
see the magic JVM pixie will not be updating all those desktops in a hurry.

I'm not saying this affects me personally (I have decoupled query
requests from query execution logic in my applets) but it is a
deployment configuration which has been designed into the Lucene API
from the outset and which would be impacted by a move to 1.5 so is worth

My preference is to err on the side of caution and avoid limiting
options by only adopting 1.5 if there are clear run-time benefits. The
"syntactic sugar" code-time benefits don't seem to stack up when we
consider that Lucene is not like a general Java application where saving
development effort is paramount - its a built-for-speed library where
all code must be highly tuned and the final execution speed is much more
important than the time taken to actually code it.

All New Yahoo! Mail  Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message