lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene and Java 1.5
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 19:43:59 GMT
Chuck Williams wrote:
> I still don't understand why environments that are years behind in java
> and most other apps should expect to be on the latest and greatest lucene.

Yes, it is clear to me that you don't.  The key thing is these people
are fellow members of the Lucene community and we should respect their
concerns even when we don't fully understand them.  We want to avoid
forking and we want to avoid ill will.

GCJ is an important platform for Lucene.  To the best of my knowledge,
Wikipedia's search uses Lucene on GCJ (at least it used to).  Folks who
use Lucene from non-Java languages also use GCJ.  Not having access to
new Lucene features and optimizations will burden folks who use GCJ.
GCJ's development lags Sun's substantially.

Doug